Starland Show

Forums SMF Slamboard Starland Show

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    PotownSMF
    Participant

Good morning to all my fellow SMF’s… I just wanted to let you all know I had a great time at the Starland last night. I brought my 12 year old Son Joseph who has now officially attended his 2nd Twisted show. I am very fortunate I was able to take him last year to to the Best Buy Theater to see them, who would have known it would be our last time seeing them with AJ. I also brought one of my best buds, who has never seen them but is a big fan of Mike Portnoy. He had a great time and I know that being there invigorated his interest in Twisted Sister. This was what I believe to be my 16th time seeing them. It never gets old, its always powerful, on point, and consistent. Something about this show, (well I know what it was but its difficult to express), touched me, the whole tribute to AJ, it was very well done, I can’t think of anything they should have done differently. The drum solo video tribute with Portnoy hitting every beat was just absolutely amazing. It gives me goosebumps even now as I type. Whoever came up with that was a genius. The Price segment always touches me deep but this time when Dee spoke about it, it brought a tear to my eye, it was just so well done. Hats off to all you guys.

When Dee spoke of this being probably the last time playing there, it hit me hard. I’m only 37, I am not one of the “original” Twisted Card carrying motherfuckers as Dee would say, but I’m as close as you could get. I remember when I was like 8 or 9 years old when I first discovered Twisted Sister by rummaging through my older brothers Vinyl records… I used to think Twisted Sister had the coolest album covers.. I began listening to them a very young age…only to grow older and realize I’d never see them in person. Then, NY Steel happened and it was like a dream come true, almost a blessing for me. Some of the best shows of my life, and the most I’ve seen of any band. I’ve been to more Twisted Shows by far then anybody else I’ve seen. The history is rich where I am from, Poughkeepsie, NY. My parents tell me stories of back in the 70’s before I was born how they used to come here and play Good Times, the story Dee has told how they got there first record deal in the basement of the Mid Hudson Civic Center, shows at The Chance.. the Bent Brother shows…The John Falcone Memorial Show, I could go on…the sad part is, with all those great things that happened here, the irony of it all, on March 20th, AJ was to play a show here in Poughkeepsie but ended up passing away that night…It’s just mind blowing.

I wish they could play one more show here, Jay Jay said the Starland was welcoming for a memorial show even though they don’t make any money, I believe Frank at The Chance would be just as accommodating to you guys. I’d even be willing make a decent donation to help it all happen. Its something to consider, the history is rich here…and I’d like see one last show like you did at the Starland here in Poughkeepsie, it just seems so right… make it happen Danny…reach out to Frank…

On a last note, going to all those shows and being up close, you often make eye contact with Jay Jay often as he mouths the lyrics…you wonder if he ever recalls faces from time to time…I like to think he does..it brings a smile to my face…thank you for all the great music and great times. It makes me sad to thinks its all on its way out… all great things must come to an end they say…and they way you guys are choosing to do it honoring AJ couldn’t be done any better..thank you so much…

Joe D from Poughkeepsie…

Rock10
    Participant

It was a great show. It was packed. The last time I saw them was at the Sandy benefit in May of 2013, and this show was better. I think they should end it while they’re on top. The opening band Four by Fate was also good.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.