A friendly word about passwords…

Forums Slamboard Instructions A friendly word about passwords…

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  George 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    SMFWebmaster
    SMFWebmaster
    Keymaster

Hey, SMFs,

By the time you guys read this, the site will be tested and live, and all of you should be able to log in and post here using the passwords that were set up on the old Slamboard. However, the old board was written a long time ago, and the method for generating user passwords (basically picking a four letter word from each of two lists and adding a random number at the end) is pretty simplistic nowadays – and the new system has calssified most of the passwords you’re currently using as ‘weak’ or ‘very weak’.

So I suggest that once you’re logged in, you go to your account and update your password. Here’s how you do it:

1. Once you’re logged in, you should see in the very top right of your screen, the words ‘Howdy, (your user name).’ If you mouse over that text, you’ll see a flyout and there will be a link that says ‘Edit My Profile.’ Click it and it’ll take you to your profile page.

2. It’s a good idea at this point to check and see if your information is up to date. If you have to update any of your info (email addresses especially), just type the new information into the appropriate field.

3. Scroll down until you see ‘New Password.’ Enter a new password (you gotta do it twice to verify). Try to make it at least 7 characters long, and include capital letters, numbers and symbols like these: ! ” ? $ % ^ &

4. Once you’ve picked out a shiny new password and verified it by typing it again, hit the blue ‘Update Profile’ button and you’re done. At that point, you can return to the site by clicking on the words ‘Twisted Sister’ in the very top left of your screen.

It’s not absolutely necessary that you update your password – if you’re that attached to it, by all means keep it. But updating it will make it harder for an asshole hacker to come by and jack your account.

This concludes our talk about passwords. Hope you all enjoy the new site!

– D

Marty
    Marty
    Participant

Oops 😉 Tried to check/update my account but got the following message:- “You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.”

SMF, Germany
    SMF, Germany
    Participant

Same here !

SMFWebmaster
    SMFWebmaster
    Keymaster

Hm. I’ll look into that.

You should be fine for the time being, though.

D

Marty
    Marty
    Participant

Cheers Don – no worries, just checking out all corners of our new playground 😉 Are the members photo galleries coming back? Great job BTW!

Marty

smms
    Participant

I just wanna say that the website looks freaking awesome !!
    Thanks webmaster.

SMFWebmaster
    SMFWebmaster
    Keymaster

Yes, Marty, the galleries will be back. I had to archive the entire Slamboard again yesterday, as a ‘last act’ going out the door.

The old Slamboard will look just as it did on the old site, except you won’t be able to post on it.

I’m uploading the latest copy of the archive now, and will link to it when it’s done. It takes a while to move it, though – the archive consists of neraly 55,000 files!

D

SMFWebmaster
    SMFWebmaster
    Keymaster

I kicked everyone’s use role up a level. Can someone check and see if you’re able to edit your own password now? Thanks!

D

SMFWebmaster
    SMFWebmaster
    Keymaster

You’ll all be able to edit your passwords now, should you feel the need.

D

George
    Participant

I was able to change my password.
    Thank you for getting the issue resolved

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.